I’m relatively new to speedwork. I only started doing tempo runs at the start of the year during prep for Manchester Marathon, and that was pretty much as far as I’d got. So that makes around 5 years of running without ever so much as trying an interval session, or even venturing out for a tentative fartlek. To be completely honest, I didn’t understand and frankly wanted to try to ignore it.
But recently I’ve actually started taking to the dreadmill for interval training, and I have to say I’m noticing the difference already. I try to fit sessions in nearer the start of the week (Tuesdays), just so I can get them over and done with. And once they’re finished, I feel a little bit like superwoman. And so, here are the top reasons I love speedwork (even when I hate it).
- There are so many variations: fartlek, intervals and threshold. You can switch it up and never get bored.
- Kicking up a gear for the first time always feels kinda awesome
- And then it gradually starts to suck
- But the pain is part of the process
- Building up a sweat and really pushing yourself to the max
- Feeling like you might puke at the end
- Realising you did the thing you were procrastinating over all day
- You get to reward yourself with a suitable combination of carbs and yumminess
- That sweet sweet ache in your legs that shows you you’ve done a good day’s work
- Feeling like superwoman once you’re done
What kind of speedwork do you prefer?
How seriously do you procrastinate before you do a hard session?
Lots of love,