2015 has been a weird year for me. As we ushered in the New Year, I had just been dumped, and was being sent out to Mexico by my work for an indefinite period of time; two things I was deeply unhappy about. I was also unhappy with my body, despite barely exercising, and had eaten chocolate for breakfast every day since Christmas (a break-up will do that to you). It’s most certainly been a year of extreme highs and deep lows, and I could not be more happy that it’s (almost) over.
- Deciding to take running more seriously. It was exactly what I needed to pull myself out of the shit I’d gotten myself into in various parts of my life. Hands down, best decision of the year.
- Hitting a 10k PB at Greenwich Park. My first race as a proper runner (i.e. I was running to hit a time, and not just to finish). I met some great people, had a great time, and definitely caught the racing bug.
- Hitting a second 10k PB at Regent’s Park. Actually a really horrific racing experience, but I look back on it fondly. It was rainy and cold, and I thought I hallucinated a camel halfway through. What a great day.
- Leaving my old job and beginning a new one. I was unhappy in a stale job that demanded so much of me, both in and out of the office. It was time to move on, and I’m so glad I did.
- Meeting my family’s new puppy, Shadow. Shady is my guardian angel, and I cannot wait to see him over Christmas (two sleeps!). He’s had joint surgery and is still in recovery, but in the next year I plan on turning him into my #ultradog.
- Launching this blog and watching it grow. I started my blog as a way to vent about my life; the trials and tribulations of trying to stay fit and sane in a life of business travel and constant upheaval. I didn’t think anyone would read it. It’s been so therapeutic to write, and it’s so lovely when someone relates to something I’ve written- especially the hard stuff.
- Losing my shit in Mexico City. Around June time, I completely lost my shit. I had been away on business for too long, I wasn’t enjoying my job, and my living situation had completely fallen to shit. Cue a mini-breakdown in a miserable hotel room. Thankfully, that whole experience was a wake-up call about a lot of different aspects and patterns in my life. I’m not saying things are 100% better by any means, but it’s definitely on the mend.
- Taking a diet a few steps too far. I got carried away, as controlling my food intake was the only way to exert any form of control on my life. I don’t want to go into it in too much detail, however it’s getting better slowly but surely.
- Leaving my old flat. This wasn’t a fun experience- that’s all I’ll say!
- Spending 9 weeks off running with Plantar Fasciitis, including two weeks of no exercise at all. I was climbing the walls- not running is so much harder for me than running, from a mental standpoint anyway. I became one of those people who just went to work in the morning, came home, and melted into the sofa in front of the TV. It was horrific, and I’m so glad it’s *touch wood* over.
So that’s my year in review. It’s been a tough one- my first full year as a graduate/employed/adult. Now, however, it’s time to look forward to the year ahead. I can’t wait for 2016. 😀
What’s your highlight of 2015? Are you excited for the year to come?
Lots of love,