Recently I’ve not been eating breakfast until much later on in the day; since I don’t commute into the office everyday, I guess my metabolism just doesn’t get going until a few hours later.
So I’ve been eschewing my beloved oatmeal into something a little more filling; a huuuuge egg-based brunch. Because by the time I get hungry, I get hungry. My favourite go-to brunch has been a sort of baked eggs/hash/scramble thing. (See how technical I can be?) The following “recipe” is more of a guideline, and you can definitely freestyle this as I’ve been doing.
You will need:
- Veggies (a pepper, a tomato and some sweetcorn)
- Oil (I use the 1 calorie oil spray)
- Find a medium-sized frying pan, and heat a small amount of oil
- Add chopped vegetables of your choice
- Season veg and cook on a medium heat until soft
- Lower heat and add eggs
- Wait around for them to cook!
- Stuff into mouth enthusiastically.
- I season with salt, pepper, and fajita seasoning. The latter has been a complete game-changer for me.
- I usually go for 2-3 eggs, and add some egg whites if I want to bulk it out a bit.
- This sometimes comes out of the pan as a whole piece; more often than not though it just comes out as a gorgeous mess.
- I’ve been having this with salad on rest days, but bread on running days. Because runny eggs + bread = winning combo.
- You could also add pre-cooked meat to the eggs once the veggies have cooked. This is what I do when cooking for a meat-eating friend.