Now that I am working freelance in the fitness industry, I have a great excuse to hang out in my workout clothes pretty much all the time. Nonetheless, it’s occurred to me that I don’t want to let my standards slip- getting up, showering and (occasionally) putting on real clothes makes me feel like a proper human being. I only realized this when I went to a house party the other day- it was the first time in two weeks I’d dressed like a normal person.
There’s another aspect to this: I’m consistently busting my ass and pushing my limits right now: trying to make a success of my new job, regaining the level of fitness I had pre-injury, and doing my new lifting program. I’m constantly knackered and hungry- remembering to take care of myself is really important to me!
So without further ado, here’s what I’ve been doing:
- Washing my hair even when it seems pointless. If I’m working out 6 days a week, it sometimes seems silly to keep washing my hair. Plus, washing your hair too often can damage it. But you you have to strike a balance, and there’s only so much dry shampoo can do. I wash my hair probably twice a week (more if I go swimming) and then blowdry it. It makes me feel like a girl again!
2. Moisturizing. I’m either out in the elements on a run, or in a chloriney pool, and quite frankly I don’t want lizard skin. So I’ve bought some lovely moisturizer to apply after showering. For those in a rush, I love love love the Vaseline sprays, especially the Cocoa Radiance one. They’re so quick, and so convenient.
3. Splurging on fancy bath stuff. I’m a big fan of Soap and Glory for scrubs and shower gel, and I’ve been known to spend a wee bit too much dollar in Lush. But having a lovely hot shower after a run and smelling fancy is definitely worth it!
4. Having nice workout clothes. This seems excessive, but if I’m gonna spend all day in my workout kit, it’s damn well gonna be some fancy ass shit. It seems like a silly investment (even for me), but I have to remind myself that since I don’t have an office job, I don’t buy work clothes. Plus let’s be honest, I’m still about that bargain hunting!
5. Vitamins. In my quest to avoid illness for the entire winter, I’m loading up on effervescent vitamins. You can pick them up fairly cheaply, and it’s been so lovely to *knock on wood* not be gross and full of cold this far. Plus drinking vitamins every day really makes you feel like you’re taking care of yourself. Like a boss.
So there you have it!
How do you treat yourself after workouts? Any bath/shower products I should check out while I’m at it?
Lots of love,