I recently got asked on Twitter to share my go-to dinner for the end of a long day’s work/workout. Bear in mind I prefer to work out in the evening, so when I get home I am usually famished, and not in the mood to put a lot of thought into my food! It’s a tad more effort than a ready meal, but I absolutely love cooking for myself and others. Plus this dish is so versatile- see further down for suggested swap-outs.
I’m not gonna call it a ‘recipe’ since it varies so heavily depending on what I have in the house and what I feel like eating. But here are the suggested ingredients for 2 people:
- 200g kale
- 200g frozen veggies or 1 whole stir-fry veggie pack
- 1 pack of microwaveable brown rice
- 1 tin of black beans
- 1 tin tuna
- 4 eggs
- Soy sauce
- Spices (I use Five Spice and Chilli Powder)
- Oil (I use an olive oil spray)
- Heat oil in a wok, and add garlic/ginger.
- Add frozen veggies straight from the pack (if using) and cook for around 5 mins.
- Add kale (and stir fry veg pack if using) plus spices & soy sauce.
- Stir fry until almost cooked.
- Add rice straight from the pack and cook through for 2 mins, stirring regularly.
- Add black beans and tuna.
- Add the eggs to the wok and stir together until cooked through. (Note: you can also cook the eggs most of the way through before stirring, if you like big chunks of yummy yolk!)
- Add sauces (I love some hot sauce!)
- Spoon into mouth enthusiastically
- (Optional: add cottage cheese when you realise you made it way too hot!)
This is a meal I’ve been making a lot recently as it’s so versatile- here are some ideas for substitutions you could make:
- Swap rice for ready cooked lentils
- Swap tuna for salmon or tofu
- Swap black beans for any other pulse
- Swap kale for spinach (I personally prefer kale as it’s more substantial)
Enjoy! And let me know if you try it out!
Lots of love