I have recently re-discovered my love and passion for running.
I go through phases of absolutely hating it, and never wanting to exceed a brisk walk in my life. However, this time is different. And not because I’ve just decided so. I’ve actually entered races. I have races booked for the next 3 months, and aim to book more as soon as payday comes around. I’m doing this not to bully myself, but to make sure running remains a part of my life for the future. I’m also making sure running is a sustainable part of my future: I usually run, get excited, and get injured. But this time, I’m in it for the long haul.
So here, to remind myself for those days I doubt myself, are the reasons I love running:
1. Some runs are shit. But some are surprisingly wonderful, and exactly what you needed.
2. The sense of satisfaction I get from a gentle 3 mile trot around the local common.
3. Peanut Butter and Jam Sandwiches. Or a crepe in this case.
4. Being able to buy fancy running kit I probably don’t need
5. Race day jitters
6. Seeing my health improve.
7. Running off a horrific day.
8. Being able to eat so much after my long run days.
9. Spending all my time on running blogs.
10. Daydreaming of a trail in Scotland whilst sat at my desk job.
11. Even better, being on a trail in Scotland.
12. Meeting like minded people and gushing over compression gear and heart rate monitors.
13. The feeling of calm meditation I get when on a trail.
14. The horrific music I listen to to get myself pumped.
15. The completely necessary protein bars and shakes. Ahem…
16. Running the military fitness test “just to see if I could.” (I did this twice. It hurt).
17. Peanut butter. Did I mention that already?
18. The cheapness of running. Sure, I spend all my money on gear, but I’m happy in the knowledge that I’m not obliged to. All I’d really need is a pair of shoes and a sports bra.
19. Being able to explore otherwise unknown areas.
20. And most importantly, that post run high.
That’s all for now.